Some of you may know that my family and I have been going through a lot, including a week-long fever for the baby and a death in my family. It has been such a relief (in a way) to have my mom duties to focus on during hard times. Taking care of Marley certainly does keep me grounded and (ironically) sane. 🙂
What I have for you is the next installment of the borobaby “Top 10” series – Our top 10 baby products for the 6-12 month timeframe. These items have also been added (when possible and appropriate) to the borobaby demo registry.
Here they are in no particular order!
- IKEA Antilop Highchair – This highchair is $20 and we think it is absolutely fantastic! Make sure to buy the separate tray, and the support cushion. It does not have a fluffy ruffly seat thinger, but Marley really doesn’t seem to care. VERY easy to clean – this is a very, very important quality, people!
- BABYBJÖRN Soft Bib – These bibs are essential for solid food eating (or as I say “people food”). They are super durable and the whole idea is that you can treat them like one of the dishes. No laundry or rinsing out or whatever. The little pocket ma-jig on the bottom is amaaaaazing – saves a great deal of food from falling on the floor.
- Playskool Step Start Walk ‘n Ride – This car/push-car guy is great for when baby begins to try to walk. In my experience with Marley and his peers, they almost always get walking while holding/pushing something first. It is EXACTLY the right size and has lots of little gadgets to play with, including Marley’s favorite – the “boot” in the front where important toys can be stored.
- Organic baby food pouches by Ella’s Kitchen, Plum Organics, or Happy Baby – Okay, I know that Marley would not have actually starved himself if these were not invented, but sometimes I truly think so. I have met many, many other parents whose children are obsessed with these. Basically, its organic pureed fruits and veggies in this little pouch thingy and your baby can suck it out. Weird, right? I definitely know moms who have tried these and baby was not interested. However, Marley is all about them. When he first started on fruits and veggies, we got these “just for travel”, but they ended up being a staple of his every day diet. He has always wanted to feed himself, which is a problem when you are not yet able to operate utensils. Enter pouches. Now that (at almost 15 months!) he eats more-or-less grown-up food, I throw the pouches in there to ensure he’s getting enough fruits (and especially) veggies for the day. While Marley has grown to love eating fruits (bananas and berries especially), he’s still a bit dubious about veggies. However, he’ll suck down a pouch of broccoli and apples like I would a chocolate milkshake or the like (mmm chocolate…). Oh and PS – Yes we did try to make our own purees and put them in one of those odd reusable pouches you can get. Waste of money – at least in Marley’s case. He only wanted these. Thank you to the companies that make them!
- Stride Rite Dillan Fisherman Sandal and/or Robeez Soft Soles – I chose these shoes because they are 1. Good quality leather and 2. Easy to get on and off. The Robeez are for “pre-walking” and the Stride Rite are for walking. I must admit, I think you will do fine if you do not get the exact styles seen here, but the R2D2 Robeez are pretty freaking delightful. We have the Stride Rite in a sandal simply because Marley started really walking when the weather got warm. Any Stride Rite Baby shoe will do – they are the absolute best and have been for years. I now understand why they are all I was allowed to have as a kid. 😉
- Green Sprouts My First Toothbrush Set and Weleda Children’s Tooth Gel – Marley actually loves brushing his teeth! He does it himself before his evening bath while we hold him up on the bathroom sink. He was drawn immediately to these little green ones (they kind of feel like a teething toy). I also made sure to have him watch us brush our teeth for a while so that when the time came he’d be eager to try. Lots of kids seem to really like this toothpaste (it’s really just for babies, as it is a non-flouride one), although I myself found it yucky.
- Boogie Wipes Unscented – Believe it or not, these things REALLY do pick up crusty baby boogies very easily. The Fresh Scent is okay too, but I think the Grape is disgusting.
- Plan Toys – Hammer Balls – My Father-in-law gave Marley this toy and I feel he has really learned from it! It’s also a beautifully made wooden toy. Can’t beat that!
- HAPPYBABY Organic Puffs – Oooooh the puffs. A great first finger food. Marley LOVES these tremendously. Much healthier than Cheerios or whatever.
- HALO SleepSack – AHH! I almost forgot to include these. These are the best thing ever – they are wearable blankets for when baby grows out of swaddling (or if you do not choose to swaddle). Go ahead and get a size (or 2) bigger than your baby measures so that you can use for longer. No one cares if the bottom is dangling. Why not a regular old blanket, you say? Well, I feel Marley needs a blanket on him when sleeping but he does not yet have the wherewithal to actually replace a blanket that falls off in the night. See? There you go!